Sad state in Thrissur market

By Prableen Kaur Jubbal - 12 November, 2012

Built around the hillock Thekkinkadu Maidan in central Kerala, lies the cultural city of Thrissur. The city is known for its annual festival Thrissur Pooram, which is celebrated with great pomp with the play of drums and musical instruments. A number of important Hindu temples and churches, such as the Vadakkumnathan temple and Our Lady of Lourdes Syro-Malabar Catholic Metropolitan Cathedral adorn the city. Kerala Kalamandalam and Kerala Sahitya Akademi are famous art and culture institutions in the city. The religions of Christianity, Islam and Judaism are believed to have entered the Indian subcontinent through the very district of Thrissur. In addition to being a major financial and commercial hub of Kerala, the city also happens to be a major academic hub with several educational institutions.

Shifting focus to the Information Technology market of the city, the current scenario seems gloomy, with partners claiming dull sales in the past two months. Says Saju Thomas, CEO, Computer Point, "The market has been very dull, blame it on economy slowdown or whatever other reason." K Balachandran of Southern Associates and Gelix George of Digital World echoed similar views.

Nevertheless, the business verticals of the city comprise the SME and the SOHO. Laptops and tablets are sold more in comparison to the desktops. "Laptops and tablets make up for 70% of the total sales, and the rest 30% is attributed to desktops. Overall, the sales of desktops is falling, whereas peripheral business is going up," informed Balachandran. Brands such as Sony and HP fare well in Thrissur, followed by Dell.

Talking about the partner-vendor relationship, Thomas highlighted, "Service is the biggest pain area. Service-related issues are not resolved efficiently." Though the city has a computer association, All Kerala Computer Manufacturers & Dealers Association (AKCMADA), partners feel that it is quite inactive. "There are more than 100 dealers, of which only 30% are registered. The association is not playing its pivotal role," said Balachandran. All-in-all, the dealers are not too sure of the market in the coming times, and refrained from citing any predictions.


Market Name: Thrissur
Market Location: Kerala
Surrounding Markets: Guruvayur, Chalakudy, Irinjalakkuda, Kochi, Kollam, Kozhikode, Kottayam, Coimbatore
Computer Association: All Kerala Computer Manufacturers & Dealers Association (AKCMADA)
Prominent Dealers: Computer Point, Digital World, Southern Associates, Esquire Associates, Gentek Computers
Business Verticals: SOHO, SME
Number of Active Dealers: 150 (approx)

Interview 1

K Balachandran, CEO, Southern Associates

How has the market been in the last 2 months?
The market has been quite dull.

How many active dealers operate in the city?
There are more than 100 dealers.

What is the monthly turnover of the IT market?
It is approximately around Rs 5 crore.

 

The DQ Week National Supplement

ad

Poll

The DQ Week poll

Which of the following you prefer to follow for getting regular technology news?